September 3, 2007

A New Adventure Begins . . .

Walking down the main street of this busy south Indian town, I am faced with one perpetual question. This question, presenting itself as an amazingly diverse assault on all five senses, asks: will I see this glass as half empty, or half full.

A monstrous truck flies by, sounding its deafening high-pitched scream of a horn, forcing me to jump into a pile of rotting refuse, and rewarding me with a black cloud of diesel fumes so foul I can taste them. Wiping my face on the sleeve of my nicest button-down, I find that the exhaust has left its mark on the thin layer of glistening sweat that constantly replenishes itself in the monsoon humidity. Just as I let out a sigh of exasperation, I'm greeted with a wave and smile by a young man stirring the day's sambar in a huge iron bowl. "Helew howeryou?" he asks, as I peak into the mix and am enveloped in the savory scent of spices and vegetables blended with sweet wood smoke from the fire below.

I am struck with guilty wonder as I stare at the feeble efforts of a frail old man, crippled in both legs, while he attempts to wheel his bicycle-wheelchair contraption up a slight incline. His hair and long beard are visibly dirty, and his once white dhoti is stained with years of poverty. It is clearly his only item of clothing. Before I can even think to act (and I'm ashamed to think about what I probably would not have done), a youngish looking teenager steps in behind the rickety apparatus and pushes it up and over the offending slope.

Nearing my destination, I have to smile as a skinny brown dog limps into view, pausing with a full body myoclonic seizure every few seconds. I smile because I've seen this same dog, in the same area, suffering with the same seizures, every day of my two weeks here in Vellore. He is a survivor. I also smile because I've seen multiple people, from beggars to physicians, accidentally (and with a compassionate glint in their eyes) drop a bit of rice or samosa near him as they pass by on the street.

This is life. As I stumble along the way, seeing through a glass darkly and knowing others and truth only in part, I look forward to those moments now and an eternity in the future when I will see clearly, know fully, and be fully known. Here's to half full glasses, in India, Mozambique, Angola, and beyond!

A lively evening on the streets . . .


A quieter scene (yes, that is cotton candy, and yes, it was that pink)


An hour's hike from my house (it's not all crowds and busyness)

7 comments:

megarber said...

Am very excited about your blog. The writing is wonderful and, of course, the pictures help me "picture where you are." Hope I can keep up with it:). Your loving Mom

DG said...

keep the pics comin--definitely looks more busy etc than I imagined..

Jessica said...

zkeep it commin'

Eden said...

Wahoo, eloquence from the beginning. I echo Jess.

Elizabeth said...

Hey Elliott, really like the blog. Very cool. I can only imagine...

You are a great writer too!

Dipen Chaudhary said...

hi
It was a strange feeling reading the other perspective, which unlike many others was a honest observation. This town has its own beauty in its hills and its people. Whenever i feel sad or saturated, I go to bagayam or VIT hill side, climb those humble (not tall) hills and jus sit there ... Its just amazing how you can absorb the whole picture (of your life and troubles) and get a answer ...
I will never forget this town, have made me learn so many valuable lessons and have given me immense joys ..

If you ever come back here, let me know .. we can just meet and maybe i will take you to the hills where i retire ..

Dipen Chaudhary said...

hi there..
Thats great news, I jus thought you moved on to a different city .. We can definitely meet .. Where do you live ? Why are you here ? My guess would be something to do with CMC ..
Drop me a mail, whenever u got time .. Will always reply ...

my e mail is ..
dipench [at] gmail [dot] com