September 26, 2007

What do you want to be when you grow up?

My auto rickshaw was speeding through the surprisingly deserted streets of Chennai when it suddenly slowed down and began pulling over to the side of the road. Oh no, I thought, is he going to try to pull something funny in hopes of squeezing me for a few more rupees?


What lack of faith in humanity! What pessimism! Is this really what I’ve come to after only six weeks in India? Coming up behind an old man struggling to peddle his cycle rickshaw, fully loaded with sand, up the steep angle of the sloping street, my auto driver stuck his leg out, braced it against the back edge of the cart, and revved the engine. I wish you could have seen the look of thankful relief on the old man’s face as we pushed him up and over the guilty rise.


I visited the big city this past weekend to meet some fellow Fogarty recipients and a group of new friends working with an international human rights organization. Apart from my inaugural game of Settlers in India, the definite highlight was finding National Geographic, The Economist, and best of all, the BBC’s Pride and Prejudice on DVD. A marathon viewing weekend will be arranged soon.


The October National Geographic magazine definitely wins as Elliott’s ultimate issue ever. I mean, green fuels, aerial views of Latin America, space exploration, and pirates, what more could you want? Oh wait, there’s also a feature article about my future career! Please check it out, and you’ll finally understand what I’m sure I’ve done a poor job of explaining over the years. I spent part of last summer in Australia with Hume Field, the Hendra virus guy, and I will be (hopefully) working with Billy Karesh of the Wildlife Conservation Society in Mozambique next year. The article doesn’t address the sustainable agricultural development aspects of my veterinary career ambitions, but overall it does a great job of describing this important interface of animal and human health.


But that’s not all. Both magazines feature essays on the future of human space exploration, which is especially intriguing given this recent announcement from NASA. I’ve already begun to fill in the initial online application. . . (you think I’m joking?)



Who says real football hasn't gone global?



2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm going to guess fluorescent undersides of mushrooms. and I wish i could say 3rd year was a blast, but even though i'm excited to be in 3rd year, it's still a bear. Rawr.

Anonymous said...

Do you think they take people with asthma as astronauts?

abby k.