November 26, 2007

CouchSurfing!

I finally completed my first official participation in the global hospitality movement known as CouchSurfing! En route to the Faroe Islands, I had a 24 hour layover in Copenhagen. And what a layover it was. Always budget-minded, I originally contemplated staying at the airport, or perhaps finding a cheap hostel to hole up in overnight. Instead, I found myself met at the metro station by my friendly and welcoming host, napping the afternoon away in a cozy apartment at Copenhagen University, and enjoying a traditional Danish Christmas celebration with graduate students from all over Europe. Denmark, Holland, Finland, Sweden, France, Spain, Italy, San Marino (did you know it's a country?), Slovenia, Austria, and Germany were all there. I was the only North American/Indian representative, and thus was engaged in many a glögg and snaps-infused conversation about Bush, Iraq, yoga, and Hinduism. Good times were had by all.

I highly encourage all of my family and friends to create profiles and get involved. How else can you stay for free and get a genuine cultural experience almost anywhere in the world? Or provide such an opportunity to a kindred traveler coming through your neck of the woods? All while making friends from around the world and taking small steps in breaking down the barriers that divide us. Check out this recent article from the NY Times. So go on, make a profile, and join the fun!







4 comments:

megarber said...

Yes, you made it sound very good...as do others. n Hannah and Abby's Dad and Granddad couch surfed recently in West Virginia!

Anonymous said...

You have the most exciting adventures!
-Erin

DG said...

this reminds me of l'auberge espagnol

Kate said...

Sounds like a great experience!